We were asked to improve in-house recruitment capabilities and set up a recruitment software to improve talent attraction and engagement across the company.
Our job was to improve in-house recruitment capabilities and set up a new applicant tracking system (ATS) in order to increase efficiency in recruiting and hiring and to ensure consistency and compliance in the recruitment and selection process.
We helped the company evaluate the need, select and implement the right system for their needs, develop position descriptions, structure a recruitment flow plan, and implement a better approach to attracting, engaging and hiring talent.
We started by analyzing the need and narrowed our selection down to a few viable options – Greenhouse, Workable, Jobvite, Resumator (now called “Jazz”) – and chose Workable because it provided the best feature/benefit for the moment. We reviewed job content and ended up rewriting much of what was available. We streamlined the submittal process and created a staging process to improve candidate flow through the system. And we set the company up to expand in-house sourcing across all employees and management – and not just those in charge of “recruiting”.
In order to identify the widest and talented applicant pool, we mapped out the top 50 competitors and began sourcing and engaging people inside those firms. Passive candidate sourcing is an activity which was conducted during this phase in the process. And we did most of this via a neat Chrome extension – and by using social media and networking channels to uncover right-fit candidates.
We also posted open positions so candidates could apply via the career job board. Candidates uploaded their LinkedIn profiles – or completed an electronic application for each position (resume and cover letter are optional). On the admin side, we tagged either tagged candidates as qualified or disqualified them. We used this process to develop and refine our short list of qualified candidates.
Our primary goals for this effort were to:
- get a lean, affordable, easy-to-use solution up and running in days not weeks (complete with branded career page, job board posting, team workflow capabilities, ability to write and customize jobs and forms and more)
- build in a new set of processes and structure for in-house recruitment across the organization
- improve recruiting and expand capability across the entire organization
- make candidate sourcing simple and easy to do
- make it much easier for candidates to apply and engage
- hone their offering and sales pitches to attract more of the right talent
- rewrite job descriptions to appeal to a broader candidate pool
- improve visibility of open jobs to improve attraction
- start to build up a talent pool of candidates for more proactive hiring
- deliver a solution to decrease costs (and effort) associated with recruiting
- decrease future dependency on third-party agency fees